Further Shocks at Asian Asia
Image: Most Certainly Not of Asian Asia’s Food. (Stock Image)
The response to my “Why Asian Asia is the Worst Sushi Place in Cape Town” post, has been absolutely immense. Closing in on 60 000 reads, it would most certainly seem that our bad experience was not an isolated incident.
A massive thank you to each and every one of you for sharing that post. Together, we were able to find the waiter a new job, which is exactly what I wanted to do for the lad.
I have been inundated with emails and comments with people sharing their shocking experiences and over the weekend I received an email from a gentleman who said he worked at the restaurant as a manager.
To protect his privacy, he asked me to change his name if I wish to upload this.
Good day Ryan.
I’ve just red your post about Asian Asia in Tyger Waterfront.
My name is John Doe, 3 years ago I was working as a bartender when I got offered the management position of Asian Asia, despite knowing better, I needed the experience and thus took the job.
My first day as the new training manager I started my morning with a health and safety officer on the premises. I was there for 4 months when I decided to get out after the owner, Nancy, decided she has no need to pay me as I have been ‘training’ for the last 4 months.
I had a recording, unfortunately I do not have it anymore, of her saying that she would not pay me as I was still in my training phase and would have to work a full year before I start earning a salary. At the same time I told her that I will be taking her to CCMA to get my money, to which she replied that she will tell them that I never worked there. Then I told her that I am recording the conversation, and she said that she will tell them that she can not speak English to which I played back the video recording and I eventually got my money the same day.
The point that I am trying to make is that both her and her husband whom I presume is the one that you all had the problem with, will try and say things like that. Concerning the food, simply read the following outlines of which all are true and that I have seen first hand.
1. The rice is made in these big square tubs and left standing open in the kitchen for up to 2 weeks while being served from until the batch is done and not being put away at the very least when the restaurant closes.
2. The sushi that is sent back or payed for once everything on the all you can eat is not finished, is taken back to the kitchen and added with others who could not finish and put back on the belt.
3. The items they use for the Chinese food, i.e. Pork, chicken and beef, is fried and in big amounts and also left standing on the kitchen counter for days on end uncovered until the batch is done, I can not stress how many people I have had complaints from in regards to food poisoning in the short time I was there while the owner says I must handle it, because if they say anything to her, she will say she can not speak English.
4. Some of the sushi, especially the salmon, is removed from whatever is on the sushi belt, and put in an uncovered bowl and re-used the following day
5. The fish that is used for the sushi, no matter how much the owners say is fresh and was delivered that same morning, is not fresh at all. Sometimes the salmon would stand in a fridge for 2 months unsealed and uncovered before being wiped down to remove the sticky residue to be served again.
6. The soy sauce that is being used is not what is printed on the bottles, instead they just refill the bottles with a cheaper brand which as far as I understood was illegal. Also the normal soy sauce and the light soy sauce are the exact same thing. They do not cater for light soy sauce and if you request it once you have found out, they charge you extra for it but still give you the same thing.
7. You will be told that they use proper Japanese mayonnaise on all of their sushi, which is also a lie as it is Nola Mayonnaise, if you can taste the difference, and request proper Japanese mayo, will will be charged an extra R10 and receive Nola mayo with added salt to dull the flavour.
8. Many of the cold drinks have reached over their sell by and best before date, as that they have no way of hiding as it is printed on the can or bottle. You will however be told that you can not read or that it was a mistake on the batch, please don’t believe that.
If there is anything else you would like to know or need help with, please don’t hesitate to ask, that place deserves to be shutdown and never opened again, and I would like to offer my help wherever it’s needed to get it done.
Even though I cannot for sure confirm that the above is true, I can very well believe that it might just be. You might also agree, after reading all the comments on the original post
It has also come to my attention that the folks at Asian Asia has accused me of harassing them via phone calls etc. I have never once phoned that shit-hole and have no intention in doing so. My only objective here is for people to know what they’re in for, when going to their restaurant.
If you’ve had similar experiences at the bigger Asian Asia, please tell me in the comments below.
When discussing these incidents online, use #ShockingAsianAsia
Drop a comment below or tweet me @thatWallace